Last updated: (4/4/2019)
Abre.io’s goal is to provide a high quality, stable and secure environment for managing critical functions for your school and the sensitive information utilized and derived by our platform and network of applications. We strive to provide 24 hour, 365 days a year access to Abre.io software. Our Privacy and Compliance policy lays out our standard service levels, privacy and security policy and a description of additional steps we take to assure our customers that their software will be available when they need it and the data managed by or passing through our system is safe and secure.
We may change the provisions of this Policy at any time and will indicate when changes have been made by revising the date at the top of this Policy. Your use of the Services, or any portion thereof, following the posting of such changes shall constitute your consent to such changes. We encourage you to review the Policy whenever you access the Services to make sure that you understand our information collection, use and disclosure practices. If we make material changes to this policy, we will provide you with additional notice of such changes and request your affirmative consent before using or sharing previously collected information in a materially different way.
Information That You Provide to Us
- Abre may collect information that you provide when you use the services, such as when you: (1) login to the Abre Hub; (2) use Abre apps; (3) access 3rd party software through shortcuts in Abre; (4) send questions or comments via e-mail or live chat to Abre customer support; (5) fill out surveys; or (6) otherwise communicate with us through the Services. The types of personal information that you provide may include your name, e-mail address and other contact or identifying information that you choose to provide.
- Abre provides access to student personal information to parents and students as allowed by Abre customers. If the information contains inaccuracies Abre will make all commercially reasonable efforts to correct that information if it is originally captured or sourced through the Abre platform. For information originally captured or sourced through third party companies Abre will make all commercially reasonable efforts to alert the third party company of any issues that need to be corrected.
- Content. Abre stores, processes and maintains files that you create and/or upload using the Services (as well as previous versions of your files), including content shared with you via Abre in order to provide the service to you.
Information That We Collect Automatically From You
- Account activity. Abre’s servers automatically record certain information about your use of Abre. Similar to other web services, Abre uses both permanent and session cookies, web beacons, and pixel tracking technology to record information such as account activity (e.g., storage usage, number of log-ins, apps used, actions taken), data displayed or clicked on (e.g., UI elements, links), other log information (e.g., browser type, IP address, date and time of access, cookie ID, referrer URL, etc.), and to remember user preferences while using the services. This information is aggregated and analyzed in order to continually build a better product experience for users. Abre may collect automated error reports in the case of software malfunction; such error reports may contain some or all of the information in your documents and may be reviewed to help resolve problems with the Abre software or service.
Information We Collect From Third Parties
- We may obtain information from other sources and combine that with what we collect through our Services. For example, we collect testing data from third-parties and combine that with other data received through Abre apps for display.
- We use analytics services and software provided by third parties to help us understand how users access and use the Services. These tools and services place cookies, web beacons and other devices or technologies on our Services to enable them to track traffic data. The data collected typically includes information such as your IP address, your Internet Service Provider, your web browser, the time spent on webpages and the links clicked. We use this information to improve our Services and your experience, to see which areas and features of our Services are popular and to count visits.
- Abre will make commercially reasonable efforts to only contract with third party companies that are consistent with our principles for privacy and data security.
How We Use Your Information
- We use individual user data collected through Abre’s services for purposes described in this Policy or otherwise disclosed to you on or in connection with our services. We do not collect, maintain, use, or share student personal information beyond that which is needed for authorized educational/school purposes, or as authorized by the parent/student. For example, we may use your information to:
- Operate and improve our services;
- Provide and deliver the products and services you request, process transactions, and to send you related information, including confirmations and invoices;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Monitor and evaluate trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Personalize and improve the Services; and
- Link or combine with other information we get from third parties to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
- Abre reserves the right to review documents to help resolve problems with the Abre software or service, or to ensure compliance with our Terms of Service.
- Abre does not sell individual student data under any circumstances, even with consent.
- Abre does not permit advertising on the Abre platform nor does it provide behavioral information for the purposes of targeted advertising to students.
- Abre may share your personal information with third parties in the following limited circumstances:
- When we have your consent.
- With third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf, who are hosting our data, and need access to your information to carry out their work for us. These entities have agreed to maintain the confidentiality, security, and integrity of the personal information they obtain from us and will not use your personal information for any purpose other than as described in this Policy. Abre will make commercially reasonable efforts to only contract with companies that are consistent with our principles for privacy and data security.
- With law enforcement, courts of competent jurisdiction, or others when we have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Abre, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- With your employer if you are an Abre.io registered user, and the domain of the primary email address associated with your Abre account is owned by your employer and that email address was assigned to you as an employee of that organization, and an authorized representative of that organization wishes to establish an Abre company account and add you to it, then certain information concerning your individual account may become accessible to that organization’s administrator including your name and email address, and your account may be added to the corporate account.
- Abre takes significant measures to protect your personal information and your documents from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction and to ensure that your documents remain available to you.
- See details of our Data Security & Compliance policy here: https://abre.io/privacyandcompliance/security/
FERPA and COPPA
- Abre may contain personally identified information from education records that are subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Abre is dedicated to protecting student privacy and complying with the Children’s Online Privacy Act of 1998 (COPPA). Students under the age of 13 require parental authorization to use Abre’s services. It is the responsibility of schools to obtain parental consent.
- Abre compliant with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Abre compliant with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA)
- You may terminate your use of Abre at any time.
- Editing or Deleting your Personal Information. If you have created an account, you may at any time review and/or update the contact information we have for you. Please note that even if you delete information from your account, or deactivate it, we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of your information for a certain period of time.
- If your account was created automatically via a school, district or system-wide implementation of Abre then your account information can only be removed by a school, district or system administrator with authorization to edit the school, district or system’s student information system (SIS).
- Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third party flash cookies used in connection with our Services. For more information about how to delete or disable flash cookies please visit www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
- Abre will not retain student personal information for longer than necessary to deliver services or for school purposes.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this Policy, please contact Abre at: [email protected]